I'm pretty pumped about my other classes (side note: I'm aware no one really wants to hear about my classes, especially all the non-lawyers out there, but too bad) - 'Ideas of the First Amendment' is a philosophy-ish course about free speech. We get to read Milton & Mill and all those bad-asses, brings me back to 1st-year English. The prof's really good, I like him. Also I'm taking 'Race-Conscious Remedies' which is all about affirmative action policies around the world. Did you know Brazil has this highly mixed society and they have all these labels for different colours, like brown & mulatto, etc? The prof's really cool too.
Aside from school, I've been jogging in Riverside Park - that's one thing tres cool about NYC, the abundance of public parks. It runs alongside the Hudson river and on sunny days it's filled with kids & picnickers, and dogs!! New Yorkers LOVE their dogs, everyone has one - terriers, german shepards, tiny little weiner dogs, and they bring them to these 'dog parks' (like the one Charlotte brought her dog to in Sex & the City -- sad that most of my NY references are from that show, I know).I visited my cousin on Long Island for Labour Day weekend and we shopped at the mega-outlet, Woodbury Commons. It's fantastic (I was salivating at the Tod's store... a $1000 purse selling for $300... unfortunately, still too dear for my student budget) but it was windy & rainy the day we were there, making for some rather miserable discount shopping. Also raining was the day I went to Macy's at 34th St - I'm telling you, if you really want to shop in NY, you can go broke. It was Fashion Week and I loitered around Bryant park hoping to see something (it's not open to the public, boo) but nothing.
Oh, and the most EXCITING bit of news I have is this: I got tickets to Conan O'Brien!!! I get to attend the taping at NBC on Oct 19. Hehehe, this seriously makes my year. I've always been dying to see his show (like when he came to Toronto 3 years ago) and now it's coming true. Wow. Keep your ears peeled for some ungainly screaming from the upper back row, that'll be me!
1 comment:
Wow! Conan to celebrate your birthday!!! How cool is that? Enjoy!
Post a Comment