I've been writing about all the places I've been, things I've seen, etc. and it occurred to me that I should write more personal things on this blog. I don't want it to be merely my travelogue (although it will be that) and also I'll probably run out of touristy NYC things to report soon (but not till I attend the Conan taping!)
So I've airlifted myself out of Toronto and indulged (literally and financially) in a year of school at Columbia University. I always thought I'd do an LL.M. because well, everyone who knows me knows I love school - whether undergrad or law school, I pretty much liked it all - and also because (as geeky as it sounds), I really enjoyed law school. I liked all of my classes and the things you learn - not just the 'black letter', thou-shalt-not law, but all of the broader issues. Even a class like tort law can be interesting because you get to talk about these broader concepts of fault or who has to be responsible for another's injury, etc. But also it's because law profs are really smart and so any class with a good prof will be amazing.
I'm aware that this year is really for me - this degree (contrary to what my grandma thinks) isn't required and I also know I'm going into my, count'em, 8th year of post-undergrad study (woooo!) Because, also for anyone who knows me, I didn't have the most fantastic time articling last year. I won't get into it but it was a combination of me & the law firm -- I knew I didn't fit in, that this wasn't the kind of work I wanted to do, and I didn't feel like I was contributing. So in a way, Columbia's my escape-hatch: I get to buy myself (at a very high price!!) an extra year of student-dom to enjoy, before I face the real world.
At the same time, I know I have to get a job soon! haha that's for all your pragmatists out there who are probably disgusted at me. I'm looking forward to it, actually: I feel I'll have a fresh start after Columbia, to really get out there and find a job that (hopefully) suits me. Hopefully that's what this year will do for me.
2 comments:
Get a job after? Thats crazy talk, you know a Doctorate is a good qualification, the student lifestyle is so much easier for us.
Hooray for all of us 8th year and counting post secondary school students hahah!
Glad to hear you are doing well there,
Karen
Post a Comment