Sunday, April 01, 2007

"Black, White, New York, You Make it Happen!"*

*Beastie Boys, "Open Letter to New York" (awesome song sent to me by Mr. McGinigal, see inspiring lyrics here: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beastieboys/anopenlettertonyc.html)

I had a pinch-me moment the other day. Walking down 2nd Avenue, after a day at the UN (yes, I'm aware I'm sounding snooty, suck it!) and I'm munching on McD's fries and I just realized, wow here I am, in this vast, amazing city of New York which I've come to know & adore & get accustomed to - conquered the subway/bus system, found excellent restaurants, shopped & dined & strolled in, and I'm just sssooo lucky. That I love the city is evident, I do, but I'm also struck by how amazing this year has been, as a concept - taking a year off, moving to a new city, living on my own - I told you about that first day in NYC, after my parents drove away, that castaway, shit! what do I do know? feeling - and racking up a million new experiences and places and people. I don't want to sound like the Life channel but I'm just blown away, flabbergasted, awestruck that I'm living this life.

You see, I don't think I'm a particularly globe-trotting, new adventures in new cities kind of gal. I was actually pretty comfortable living at home in Toronto, as throwback to high-school days as that sounds. nor was I entirely cognizant of how cool it would be to go to NY to do my LLM - as naive as it sounds, I was only thinking of the school. But needless to say, thanks to a great apartment, friends I've really warmed up to, and an amazing city, I've discovered I got way more than I bargained for, in the best way possible.

That's my Oprah-spirit-life-reflecting thought for the day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If there is one thing i love its unsolicited praise.

Ive always thought that its got to be a lot harder for someone already from a large multicultural city to feel motivation to leave - ie, theres not a lot that toronto doesnt have already/theres not that many push factors from it either.

Enjoy the next few months in the city