Thursday, October 19, 2006

My Week on the Talk-Show Circuit

This is no exaggeration: 2 of my life goals have been realized (the third involves attaining some kind of respectable career prospects, something of that sort, but it can wait): I was in the studio audience for 1) The Daily Show and 2) Conan O'Brien (insert wild teenage screaming)!

The line-up for the Daily Show was a bit of a drag, I had to stand in line for 2.5 hrs before we were let in. High-decibel 80s rock (Rolling Stones' 'Angie', 'Eye of the Tiger'!) entertained us before his royal J-Stew-ness graced the stage and took a few of our questions. One of my group (some fellow Journal of Gender & Law peeps, who hooked me up with the tickets) noticed he had a shot of Columbia on his backdrop, and he made a quip about how he could've gotten in. The segment I saw was 'Garden Statement' - go on http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/
the_daily_show/index.jhtml and see if it's still there - which was ok-funny (typical cutting-up of a Bush press conference), probably not the best. I *really* wanted to see one of his correspondents (like Samantha Bee or one of the English chaps) but they didn't come on :( Still, serious fun.

But Late Night with Conan was undisputably awesome (and yes, I am using the wannabe-skaterboi teenage boy voice here). First there was next to no waiting, I had terrific seats next to the Max Weinberg band. One of Conan's cronies (the guy who did the 'donkey' routine) came out to warm us up, he was great, followed by Conan himself. He came out dancing and an audience member (male) spontaenously got up & started grinding with Conan, who was like 'Whoa, what was that??' afterwards. He made random audience members (all male) hug, and then the show began.

The studio's a lot smaller than it looks on TV (one of those 'magic of TV' things), it's amazing Conan (all 6' 4" or whatever of him) fits behind his desk. The guests were Nathan Lane and Jason __?__ from SNL, and Ben Folds who performed in a head-to-toe pirate costume (and cheesily changed one of his lyrics from 'are' to 'arrrrgh'). There was also a segment of 'New Fall Characters' featuring Pierre Bernard as the African baby Madonna didn't adopt, and a Pimped-out Jesus (with feathered hat, fur, and bejewelled cane). Hilaaaarious.

AND I got a free t-shirt!

1 comment:

Adrian said...

"Late Night with Conan O'Brien - AUDIENCE MEMBER" :D