Paid a visit to the New York Botanical Gardens on the weekend, it's in the Bronx. It's a sprawling forest-y park with greenhouses and rose gardens and the like, but with these funky colourful glass sculptures here & there - check it out: [photos forthcoming] I went with Constance, a fellow LLM from Malaysia/UK and it's funny how much people lap up the fall colours bit (in the form of extreme awe/trigger-happiness). It was a cold day (and I see that temperatures in TO are even lower), but it was a relaxing, chill excursion.
I'm really settling into thie NY thing now. I ignore traffic signals and bought my first copy of the New Yorker (not to be confused with the New York Magazine, which is also very good). I actually like US money now because they got $1 bills, you never get a heavy mass of coins back. I've taken an extreme liking to Wholefoods' baguettes & proscuitto & prepared foods & its free-sample-laden aisles. I'm eating better now - 90% reduction in Famiglia pizza - maybe I'll post some of my successful recipes? (much to the chagrin of Justin, who likes to think he wears the apron in the relationship ;)) A funny thing about Manhattan cinemas: you typically have to take 10 escalators from the ticket booth to the actual theatre, cuz they only have 1 or 2 on each level, NY buildings being what they are. And I'm lovin' the 24-hr groceries around me, which seems to be the norm.
I miss Toronto and home & the food & y'all! but I think I've reached the point where I feel like my NY place is home (for now, at least). You know that point where you can go into a place & feel comfy & make tea & idle away the hours (there was too much of that yesterday) & feel at home, not in a dorm or cookie-cutter housing (which a lot of uni residence is). certainly the newish, modern furniture in my place helps.
Oh and there was a Hallowe'en part-eh at school, one of our regular LLM indulgences. Cheese & open bar & cocktail shrimp & I was a happy girl :)
No comments:
Post a Comment