Saturday, October 07, 2006

A Fashionista I'm Not

So it's Oct 7 (my brother's 18th birthday, incidentally) and it's gotten a little cooler in NYC. last week it was still 20 degrees or so, I ditched class to go shopping in Soho (as opposed to 'Noho' - that's North of Houston St, Soho's South --- see I'm becoming a real New Yorker, down with the lingo now!) with Tina. We passed by shops with such amazing names as Prada, D&G, Anna Sui, Kate Spade & DKNY. They also have Max Studios, which I really liked and have 1 sweater from, from its limited lifespan in Yorkdale Mall.

So far (in case you're wondering) I've managed to hold off nearly all shopping impulses... amazing, I know, but it's not hard when you had to drop nearly all of your last year's earnings on tuition alone, and have to somehow feed yourself by shopping at Manhattan's rather egregiously priced supermarkets. I swear - Tropicana juice is $4.50 (US), they only have expensive cookies (the Pepperidge Farm line, no Peek freans or president' choice) and once I bought this small tin of egg salad and it cost $7.50 (it was good, but still)

WholeFoods seems all the rage here - they are beautiful, two-storeyed markets with oodles of prepared foods (like an Indian curry bar and organic salad bar) and you can make your own nut mix and even get fresh peanut butter (it's like the coffee grinders, they grind it when you press a button - that shit is good). so, point being - I'm on a super tight budget (I've already eaten way more instant noodles than I'd like to admit to) so can't exactly afford to buy a lot. Although I've rationalized to myself, once I do make money I ought to buy nice things - lest I fall into what my mom has, which is never buy nice clothes even if you have the money, out of some over-encompassing sense of frugality - which I don't want to fall prey to.

Not surprisingly the girls in NY dress well - the fall trends of skinny jeans, tucked inside big leather boots (Wellingtons) or patent leather heels with long mod-style tops and huge fly-eye sunglasses (I don't like those) are everywhere, as are headbands, they sell them on lots of street corners here.

No comments: