Friday, May 11, 2007

Post-Everything Fun & Games


me & my friend Amrin, cooking rice

The whole gang!

I invited everyone over to my place for a 'Big Eat Party' (translated from Chinese) - that's what my apartment is best for. We had greek chicken & several beef curries & rice & quiche and it was nice to finally chill out, having finished all our academic duties. Miraculously my place didn't end up smelling like curry ;) Then we played some old-fashioned card games like 'Cover your nose' (also translated from the Chinese.. haha, this is not going to make any sense) only the Singaporeans have a different take on it that combines aspects of 'Slap the Mattress' (don't ask) but anyways... card game, hand slapping = big fun! we even played Uno, trying to combine different rules from 5 different countries (I swear, Uno is one of those games where everyone plays by their own rules... it's insane!)

The past few days have been full of fun & games: I went to see Conan O'Brien again, it makes for such a fun afternoon. This time it was Zach Braff who was the guest. I also went karoake with a couple friends at a midtown Japanese club, we crooned to 'Sk8er Boi' (actual spelling), 'Crazy for You', old Whitney Houston (I.... wanna dance with somebody!) and even 'My Heart will Go on' (gag!) yesterday I attended a piano recital in the UN General Assembly room, and then paid a visit to Serendipity, the famed dessert place from the movie of the same name. it's clearly a tourist place cuz they're known for their Frozen Hot chocolate, which was gigantic.

My parents are coming in a few days since graduation is next week. They got bleachers & tents set up all over the Columbia campus, it's quite the production. Inexplicably the graduation speaker for Columbia is Matthew Fox, of Party of Five and Lost fame. apparently he's a Columbia grad, but still - do I really want to hear him speak?!

It's going to be nice to see my parents again - this is the longest time I've gone without seeing them, and while I 'm happy they'll get to see NY, it's also weird to picture them on the streets of Manhattan - we live in such a suburban, car-based world in TO and so I can't imagine how they'll be walking down Broadway or (eek!) taking the subway (which is, admittedly, very grungy).

No comments: