Monday, May 07, 2007


It’s been 5 days since I’ve officially, satisfactorily finished my LLM degree (woooo!). The last few days were a blur – I got sick of paper-writing and had to finish one last, crappy paper for the UN Externship, but now I’m officially done. Looking back I’m really glad I bit the bullet and mustered up the guts to do the LLM Essay – an independent paper that, for all intents & purposes, is a thesis – because I wanted to do something serious & scholarly this year, even if Columbia didn’t require it. And I didn’t do it quite the way I planned it – I met up with my supervisor, Tim Wu, back in September and didn’t do anything about it again till March – but in the end I didn’t give up (though I was close to) and managed to squeeze something out, which I’m proud of.

So the last couple of days have been spent trouncing around NYC, enjoying the May weather. I hung out in Washington Square park, saw a couple movies (Hot Fuzz, which was just fun – The Gates, a Tribeca documentary about the orange gates art project in Central Park a couple years back – and Away From Her, based on an Alice Munro story I read), ate with friends, shopped in Soho (lived vicariously through my friend Wendy who bought not one, but two! Kate Spade bags) & midtown, went to the Frick Museum (a wonderful, bite-sized collection) and yeah, just doin whatever the hell I want.

To be reflective for a moment: I heart NY, like I’ve been telling everyone, but despite all the suggestions, I really don’t plan or expect to stay. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed myself this year – there’s no question I made the right decision to come here (Michigan, be damned!) – but I also accept it when it’s over, you know what I mean? sometimes things are only good if you know their endpoint, and me being not the globe-trotter or anything, I’m content with going back to Canada. although I must say I kinda think Toronto is small potatoes now – this is the longest I’ve been away from home, and it feels a bit unfamiliar, a bit small-townish, a bit boring now – so it’s gonna be a weird feeling to go back.

1 comment:

June & Yusuf said...

Can't wait to join you!!! :)