That's me & Amrin, a LLM from Singapore, at the LLM dinner.my life has been a blur lately. First, there was the barrage of uber-fine dining with Karen & Clement - karen & I went on a self-imposed fast after the luxe lunch at Jean-Georges, only sharing a cheesecake at Smoke, this cozy-cool jazz club we ventured to one night - and I gladly returned to the freezer-full of food Justin made for me (his artichoke-shrimp pasta is really good). I tried to keep up as best as I could with my exercise regiment, but of course I cut some corners ;)
Between that, and Thursdays & Fridays chez the UN - the place is crawling with interns, and I've met a whole bunch already (it's like a whole other LLM int'l student scene). The job's been reminding me of my corporate law stint - I go around asking the lawyers for work, carrying my notepad with me - but at the same time there's no corporate environment, because there's no hierarchy and no need to suck up or impress, and well, its somewhat different when your contracts are with other nations for peace-keeping purposes. It's more like in-house counsel, I guess, but even better than that cuz there's no business-y bottom line. I'm learning about the massive bureaucracy that is the UN (let's be honest) - their Tribunals, their Rules, their dirty laundry.
My brother is visiting me in NY right now - yup, that's visitor #7 or so?! - and we've kept it low-key, I've had way too much socializing lately. There was the LLM dinner, a swanky dinner hosted by Columbia at the Low Library. it was pretty nice - champagne & steady stream of h'or deovres and a buffet dinner, this is what our tuition paid for!! - and I was pretty buzzed, it's all good. By this time the LLM group has really bonded and so it was nice to spend an evening with them all.
It's also Chinese New year! I met my cousin & aunt in Flushing (the Markham of NYC) and had a fab-o, traditional chinese dinner, complete with fried garlic crab, fish & chicken. It was nice to be around a babbling bunch of Chinese folks, in a noisy restaurant decked out in new year decorations. You know me, I need my chinese food.
Oh, and I didn't even explain the title - my brother caused the Odd Smells by not working my stove properly (he's 18 & the doesnt-know-how-to-boil-water type) so my place smelled like gas (this was after it smelled like shrimp, after I hosted a Chinese new year party at my place); the Scalia T-shirts were tees sold at school that say, 'What would Scalia do?' - Scalia's a ultra-conservative (by Canadian standards, certainly) US Supreme Court justice, which I've bought for the sheer hilarity of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment